Thursday, August 13, 2009

baby bring on the rain/bring on the thunder

The sky is grey. The hill that we live right by is obscured by fog. It might as well not be there. Such a usual part of the landscape that I don't even notice, yet when it's not their it changes everything. The neighbor's American flag is waving wildly all over the place, just like the trees, and our poor weeping willow, which is bent over sidewise. It really could be weeping, right now. The rain is pouring, bouncing off of the street. It has already gathered puddles which the wind is pushing around. It's pretty dark for this time of day, yet at the same time, even through the thick layer of clouds, you can tell by the kind of light that the sun is trying to break through somewhere. It gives everything the slightest teeniest hint of yellow and light. I love it. It's amazing. I forgot how much I missed the rain.

It's the perfect day to be inside, warm and cozy. I've always loved the contrast between the grey and the rain outside and the warmth and yellow light inside. It makes me think of fall, or winter, the times when it is raining none stop like this for days and we're inside doing school while we drink our hot cider and cozy up in our warmest sweater. Perks of home schooling.
Oh. But I'm going to be at school this year for so much of the time. What a strange thought, that I'm not going to have that anymore.



4 comments:

Sarah said...

Ahh I love storms! Its days like you just described where I like to stand in my room with my face rested on my arm in the windowsill with the window open letting the rain splatter me in the face and inhaling the cool sweet smelling air. So awesome :-) Or running outside in a warm summertime downpour. that is really fun too.

Hm, are you doing running start this year Bethany?

Bethany said...

totally. Running around in the rain is amazing too.
: D


Yeah, I am. My orientation is on tuesday. I'm pretty excited.

emily said...

Being at school in the rain is amazing too, though! There are so many amazing places to tuck yourself away and watch it pour as the world goes by around you... I love it. :-)

This was such an artistic post!

Bethany said...

: D Thanks Emily.


That's good to know. I can imagine that. It still won't be the same though.