Thursday, May 07, 2009

Life is a beautiful thing. Love is a beautiful thing.

It came! 

*sings*

It came, it came it came.

*dances around with brochure*

Life as been really really good lately.  Seriously.  I'm so happy.  It's the little things, yah know?

Like:
- I'm getting new ghillies.  Really really nice, ones, but used, for only 2o bucks.  (soft shoes, for those of you who don't speak Irish Dance.)
- Mom excused me from having to do the worst school thing in history.  Seriously, it's the worst thing she has ever made me do, and I was super behind.  But my sisters and I pled our case and she let us quit!!!  ( I think she was in a particularly good mood that day, which probably helped)
- Speaking of school, summer is coming up!  I beginning to get stuff finished up.  It's gonna be great to be free.
- I'm really excited for the next year before I'm even done with this one, this is a first, and it's only because I'm going to Running Start.  (which is gonna be totally awesome.  I know it.)
- I got this super-secret project all finished up and sent off tonight, and it feels amazing not to have to worry about it.
- We're performing in 3 weeks!!!  You're all officially invited, you should have gotten my invite over facebook.  *practices choreography*
- Did I mention the Camp Hope brochure???!!!?!?!?! I'll be working at Family and Junior Camp, so I don't have to wait as long as most of you for the fun to begin . . . :D

*sighs*

On the school front though, I'm also a little sad.  It's like everything is ending.  which it is.  Chemistry class, "WAG" with our cousins and close friends, Thursday afternoons at my grandma's house . . .  While I'm so ready to rush into summer, I'm also realizing that I hitting "last time I'll ever do this" stage, and it isn't very happy.
It's what you call bittersweet.




Okay, and this other really cool thing.  I FINALLY read Blue Like Jazz.  

At first, I didn't really know if I liked it.  Over all, I'm a pretty judgmental person, although I TRY not to be.  So things that I don't agree with in books often kinda . . . turn me off about that book.  And although the book was very interesting, the abstract feel I got from is was . . . well, it kinda bothered me.  Overall, I don't really like abstract stuff.  It makes me feel like I'm walking around with one eye closed.  Or both, depending how abstract something is.  Or like I have one contact in and one out.  Or neither.  Get the picture?  Not that I can't see how abstract is "cool"  I do.  But I don't think I like it all the much.  I like things to be clear cut.  But I can get past all those things, really, I can.  It's not a huge deal.  It just . . . doesn't make me love the stuff that has it.

PLUS, it made me ask TONS of questions about what I believe.  which is actually a good thing, and didn't have anything to do with whether or not I like the book,  but it was still confusing.

The biggest question I came up with had to do with love.  Donald Miller always seems totally accepting of all these people who do morally wrong things.  I've always known that we're supposed to love everyone, but I haven't always known it.  Make sense?  It's like something as always kept me from totally accepting that fact.  This wall was in the way.

Well, anyway, the second to last chapter in the book really talks about all this, and basically he says that love should not be conditional.  God loves us no matter what, His love does not depend how good we are.  Donald Miller said that Christians treat love like a commodity, like money, they love those who are doing the right thing, and don't love those who aren't.  and that isn't the way it should be.  In fact, it certainly isn't helping anything.  

Yeah anyways, read that part of the book, if you really want to understand it.  'Cause I do now.  I was thinking about all the people I need to love, whom I don't, and gosh, there are SO many.  And of course, I know I won't ever be able to do it on my own.  I pray that God will help me be ABLE to love everyone, 'cause I need a lot of help.

Just because I UNDERSTAND, doesn't mean I DO.  But I can't tell you how amazing it is to understand this.  I've always known it, but now I can really embrace it, even coming from a Reformed Baptist, conservative background.  Yup, the wall is gone.

Also, I've been thinking, I think I've watched a lot of you guys come to this realization and post about it.  and I always agreed with what you were saying, but now I totally get it.  It's amazing to be there myself.

I'm sorry, I don't think I'm explaining myself very well.  I think I'm gonna call it good, and hope you guys get the general idea. :-P

But that is the thing that is making me happiest.  that and camp hope.  I figured this all out last night, and it took me FOREVER to fall asleep.  But yeah, I did manage it.

Au Revoire, everyone.  

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, sometimes I amaze myself. :-)

No, not the writing, but this is sooo long. *feels proud* It's been awhile since I've written this long of a post. :-D

Anonymous said...

haha! Welcome to illumination!


(not sure if that sounded good or bad or condescending, I meant it as a sort of welcome ;-)

Love you lots and I'm sooo excited about summer too!

Anonymous said...

lol, thanks Lucy, I totally get what you mean. : )

Anonymous said...

:-D

Lindy and I got our brochure in the mail also! Hehe, I also have been accepted into the Master's Mission!!!! *is excited*

Anonymous said...

What's the Master's Mission?

Dorothy said...

yay, congratulations Lucy!!!
(it's the college she's going to in the fall, Beth. just thought I would answer for her and not leave you in the dark...)

super-secret project? I am curious. *curious look*

oooff, school, I'm so ready for it to be done. getting up at 6:30 for a whole school year doesn't agree with me. I'm so ready for summer. and no more homework.
rats, I have tons of stuff to do over summer, don't I?

yeah, I totally know the bittersweet feeling you're talking about. even things you don't like, if you're doing them with someone you enjoy being around, they can be fun too.

and yes, nice long post. :P

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I do know that, now. Very exciting.

Yeah.

Dorothy said...

I still want to know about this super-secret project.

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you at some point. After a certain day, it won't be secret. However, it's not all that exciting. It isn't relevant to you. But I still have to keep it secret. : D

Anonymous said...

haha! Thanks Kacy. I suppose I haven't been on here much because of that.

Yep yep, it is the school I am hoping to go to this summer to be trained as a foreign missionary! :-D I think by the time you read this, there will be a new post up on my blog.

emily said...

I can't wait to read this. Haha. At the moment I'm singing and listening to music and I know I won't be able to focus. :-)

Anonymous said...

Great post Beth. I sure miss you.

emily said...

That was great. Exactly what Blue Like Jazz did for me. Now you HAVE to read Searching For God Knows What!

Anonymous said...

lol, now that you've read this . . . haha.

Yeah, I have a feeling that blue Like Jazz does that for a lot of people.

And I definately want to read searching for God Knows What.

emily said...

I'll try to remember to bring it tonight. Can I have Blue Like Jazz back next time I see you?

Anonymous said...

I think so . . . MJ was reading it, but I think she's done.