Friday, February 06, 2009

who holds the stars up in the sky?/is true love just once in a life time?/did the captain of the Titanic cry?/someday we'll know. . .


Isn't it funny how we take time and care to create an image of ourselves.  And then gradually we become those people more and more and just fall into the mold we've created for ourselves.  In a way, I think it's kinda cool that we can create a self-image like that . . . too a certain extent.  I think that sometimes people are going to see us each in certain ways no matter what.  And when we might want to change our image, it can be kind of hard.


Are most teens as shallow as they seem?  How can they NOT think of seemingly "deep" things, and never work out where they stand on at least SOME of those complicated issues?  Politics, religion, something?  I have trouble believing that there isn't more than meets the eye, when it comes to people.  Perhaps most people are hiding some deep dark secret.  Although I have trouble believing that one too.  Some people, sure, most people . . . I would think not.  But I also think I may still see the world "through rose colored glasses" as the saying goes.


14 comments:

Bo said...

i think most people are just lazy. but thats personal opinion. lol.

Dorothy said...

la vie en rose. best french song EVER. :)

and you are so Jane Bennet, Beth. that's a good thing.

I guess I would say a lot of people our age don't hear more than one side of the story. sometimes they just don't get it, sometimes they deafen and blind themselves to what they don't like. which is probably why so many people hit a major crisis at some point, when they realize they don't have all the answers.

I would also agree with Jacob though - some people just don't want to think through really deep subjects, because they're lazy. it's so much easier just to be like everyone else they know and not challenge the status quo.

us little rebelutionaries.....

Bo said...

lol, i don't think you should include me in your "revolutionaries" . . . . lol. i usually don't like debating, though i have an opinion. though i'm in no state of mind to debate today anyway. lol.

but yes, all the reasons you gave i agree with.

status quo is good.

though you'd think enough dysney movies and people would start spreading out more. lol.

lindy said...

People perceive in others what they themselves are. A thief is in constant fear of being robbed, thus, perceiving everyone around him a thief. An honest man believes what people tell him, thus, believing everyone else is honest too.

I wouldn't say rose colored glasses are a good thing or a bad thing. You can't tell what's blue when you have the pink glasses on, but once they're off you can't see how you were so blind before. One may want to see the world as it is when one still wears the rose colored glasses, but once they're off one doesn't want them back even if the way of life was simpler and less troubling.

Progression. Growth. We always want what we don't have. But I think we have rose colored glasses for a reason.

Anonymous said...

Lazy. Good point. That is probably it. : P


Yeah, I'm not saying rose colored glasses are good or bad, they just are. But when I wrote that post, I THOUGHT I saw the world through rose colored glasses, now I KNOW I do. So maybe that means I don't. idk.

emily said...

So knowing you see the world through rose colored glasses somehow makes it less rosy?

:-P

Bo said...

LOL. that was good. less rosy.

Anonymous said...

mmm good point. I was wondering about that.

Dorothy said...

I am so confused....

Dorothy said...

don't you think it's near time for a new post up here Beth?

lindy said...

Self awareness has it's own qualities.

emily said...

You, Anna and Kacy all have posts up about the way we perceive people right now. Guess it's my turn. :-)

Bo said...

i thought you were going to update frequently . . . :(

Bo said...

where'd you go!!???!??!?!???

*calls*

EOWYN!!!

(meant in the nicest way possible . . .)