Monday, February 02, 2009

With the whole world upside down/we are one tonight and we're screaming it out

It's amazing, really, how much blog has affected my life.  Not my blog, really, it's always been rather pathetic, but your blogs . . . our group blogs, every blog where you started discussions about anything controversial - politics, religion, and we would debate and discuss them endlessly.  And that was really what made me look around, for the first time, and see that my parents weren't necessarily right ( not to say that they were WRONG, just that it isn't a given that they were right about everything) and that I was going to have to form my own opinions based on what I believed.  Which something that doesn't come at all easily to me, I'd much rather just float in the middle, and try to stay peaceful, unless it's something I feel really strongly convicted about.  There were a lot of conversations, back then, that I ended up not actually really being part of, although I did follow them.  I found it so . . . exhausting though.

I mean, their are SOOO many things that we need to figure out where we stand, what we  believe about them. And then, so many viewpoints.  If you ask me, it's all rather overwhelming.  It definantly was then.  Looking back over the Village Square, it makes me sad, because really, you guys were all a step ahead of me, but I'm their now, and I could contribute so much more, than I could then.  I think.  

*sigh*  I was so much more . . . narrow-minded back then.  Reading over the posts, I'm pretty impressed by all the things we discussed.

I always hate it when good things come to an end.  I've seen so many people come and go through our group, and TONS of blogs.  About 18, I believe.  Probably a few more.  And I'm not even going to try to count the people.  It's just all rather depressing, when I get to thinking about it.

So here's my thanks, for making me think.  'cause I know it's a good thing, to figure out where I stand and what I believe, even if it makes me awful confused now.  Although, to some extent, not as confused, perhaps, as I was then, since I've probably forgotten over half of the things we discussed, and I don't have so many viewpoints making my life complicated.  Not that I wouldn't take them, if I could have them.

15 comments:

Dorothy said...

I know, it is sad to see some things end.
And yeah, blogger totally made me who I am in many respects, especially in thinking for myself instead of always taking my parents' opinion about everything.

I'm not suggesting we revive Village Square, because I don't really think it would make it, but I would encourage people to post something deep and profound if it comes to them, even if it's controversial. It makes us think, makes for a really good discussion, and helps us form our own views about things. Too many people our age just float through life not caring.

And seriously, I have to vote at the next election! Do you know how terrifying that is? So really....if you think of something that would spark a discussion, please please please post it! I miss coming on blogger and being astounded that so-and-so talked about such-and-such, and here's my opinion on the matter.

yeah.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree, with everything you said Verya. Definitely to late for village square. I was looking back on some of the earlier posts on their, and it makes me sooo sad. Depressing, really.

I have nothing more to say, you said it all Kacy!

Dorothy said...

Ha-ha thanks Beth. If I think of anything deep I'll write it on my hand wherever I'm at and make sure to find time to post it.
:D

now where the heck is everybody?

personally I think it's extremely fun to look back over the old posts on everyones' blogs. it's like looking at different people - like different, less mature versions of us. all of a sudden you remember a certain day, and you totally remember exactly what you were like then. it's weird to think how each day changes us just a little bit.
but it's not always a bad thing either.

Anonymous said...

Yeah totally, it is kinda fun too. And definitely on the younger less mature part.

Dorothy said...

Yeah...although sometimes I am surprised at the things we talked about and the insight some of us had on certain subjects.

Bo said...

lol you said that you were kinda exhausted at the time of writing all those "controversial topics"

well, i'm exhausted just looking through them. lol you guys talk soooooo much . . .

lol.

and welcome back eowyn, though i really wasn't here your first time around, it's now being my own first time around.

Anonymous said...

lol thanks. I've always been here. Sometimes the exhaustingness of the conversations is because I never had anything to say. That still happens.

Dorothy said...

I never really got exhausted....or if I did, it was good. like after a long workout. our brains need to be stretched too.

I was just talking to Em about this. Why the heck do we lose this passion about discussing these controversial things together? why are we so passive?
I can't stand being passive anymore. I feel like I'm losing this ability to think for myself and form opinions - like I'm just turning into a carbon copy of all my friends. and not that I don't like you guys, but I want to be an individual. not like Walle where all the people wear the same clothes and don't have a clue what's going on in the world. I liked it when we talked about things.


I don't think we stopped talking because of a lack of controversial things. I'm sure there are things we could still "discuss" for a long time. which would be so cool.

Bo said...

lol i may not be a great contender of debate, but i make for a good listener. though, in your search for differencialism, that might not be what your looking for ;)

Dorothy said...

I don't know...maybe I'm looking for something that isn't to be found with the group we have now. Maybe this is just me being discontented.

Bo said...

well i'm sure there are numourus forums all over the internet, all you gotta do is find one and you can battle it out to your hearts content! lol. plus, you don't have to worry 'bout offending, since you won't know any of these people.

MJ said...

Haha! That's funny. I think we can still have controversial discussions Kacy. Just start one on your blog!

Dorothy said...

Michaela! are you back again?

I did put one on the cornfield, sort of. I guess I haven't given much thought to something really controversial though. I am beginning to consider banning the word "predestination" from my vocabulary...


you should put a new post up Beth! and none of that 'I don't know what to post about stuff.' just pick something.

Bo said...

*agrees with verya*

Anonymous said...

oops, that by Michaela was by me. Sorry!