Saturday, January 05, 2008

So yesterday evening I went to a Contra Dance. No, I did not just misspell country. Contra dancing is kind of like line dancing, or Pride and Prejudice dancing. The cool things about it are that you have a partner, but you dance in groups of four, and progress up and down the line, so you get to dance with other couples.

Anna's family told the W-- family about it, and they brought me along. What was really cool was that the MckCassons (Ahem, I can't spell) were playing . . . I got to introduce Anna and Elizabeth to them.

It was a little scary at first, because you get randomly paired up with someone, and for the first part of the first dance, I didn't know what I was doing, and neither did my partner! But then for the second dance, my partner was someone who new how to contra dance, so I really got the hang of that one dance.

After the first two dance I was tired out, and it was strange, I was like, mentally tired to, but elated at the same time. Eventually Anna and I tried dancing again, and we completely failed. We dropped out, but we tried again later, and she got it figured out, all though it was VERY confusing because she was dancing the boys part and had to explain it every time we danced in a new group. Anyway, since she knew what she was doing, she kind of steered me through it.

Later when we were leaving ( after we had said all of our goodbyes,etc. etc.) the B-- family gave Aunt Joyce and Uncle Tom a cake, because it was their anniversary. So we went back inside, sat on the stairs and ate it. It was very good after all the dancing!! Anyway, then we left (repeating the goodbye process) and had the whole drive home . . . we were pretty tired. However, once I got in bed, I wasn't really tired. . . and Elizabeth kept waking up. Once during the night, when the light was on, Elizabeth said, "I suppose we should turn of the light." I said, "Oh, light shmight." and she replied, "Exactly! Oh, great I'm using that word to much." so I said "What? Light? Or Shmight?" And she said, " I was thinking 'exactly.'" So of course the rest of the night we joked about that . . .

11 comments:

lindy said...

hahaha! Light or shmight. I love it. :-D

Ooo! Contra sounds like so much fun! I always wanted to try after I saw Pride and Prejudice. It looked so fanciful and fun, dancing with so many people. *dreams* I want to dance!!!

*complains*

*gets over it*

*is happy again*

lindy said...

haha! Still the only one to comment. *makes evil laugh*

Anonymous said...

lol. Yes, it was very fun. Looking back on it, I'm like, wait- was that me doing that?

However, I think it would have been funner if it was with people we knew . . .

quenta tindomerel said...

yay! that's exactly what I think it is, pride and prejudice dancing. like all country and dorky and fun.
and haha I could not figure it out at all, I'm just better at pretending then you. plus the guy's part is easier, I swear. and I can swing! ahaha. at least we didn't pick a dance where I would have to swing other girls because I would FAIL! you are the only person I can swing. :p

I love saying goodbye and then coming back again. it was so much fun. that cake was so funny. :P

Anonymous said...

Oh man- That was a WONDERFUL evening!!! *sighs*

How come can't you swing anyone else? If you are dancing the boys part, it is going to be the same no matter who you dance it with!

Haha, wasn"t it funny when we were trying to to that complicated Hay (sp?) and we ended up going in a circle? lol

And Elizabeth insisted on being a wallflower.

I think we need to get all our friends to come-apsolutely everyone we can think of, and then it would be REALLY fun!

quenta tindomerel said...

hmmm. well, everyone else was just like "let's weave!" weave weave weave and pretend we're going right, so I don't think we did that bad.

it could just be that my little sister isn't right with swinging, but I think it's more that you're a lot shorter then me and that's why I could do it to you.

yes, we do. most definetly. I thin liz was just high and she's not a really really active person to begin with. which you need to like moving fast in bizarre ways to contradance (that hay? oh yeah).

emily said...

HAY!!!

That one always cracked me up because he never explained it, but he made it sound so obvious.

Hay. You know, just hay.

Anonymous said...

I think she may not have been completely comfortable with the situation anyways.

lol, Emily, if you had been in the second dance, you would know what a hay was.

quenta tindomerel said...

but Eowyn, we were in the second dance, and we had no clue how to hay.

Anonymous said...

No,no, I figured it out! I wasn't actually with YOU so I don't know how you were doing. ; )

emily said...

Raindrops keep falling on my head, they keep falling
Raindrops keep falling on my head, they keep falling
So I did me some talking to the sun
Said I didn't like the way
The way he got things done
(sleeping on the job)