Tuesday, January 22, 2008

In the school program that we use when we are little, we all have to write mini "essays." For the twins, thats a four sentence paragraph that takes up a whole page kind of thing. For Nathan, it's a bit more advanced. Obviously, I'm writing full essays on notebook paper- as are Michaela and Katie.

So Allison and Sarah are assigned an essay- Write four sentences on something you have seen in America. You know- Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, Mt. Rainier?

Allison had a little help from the start, and wrote this essay:

the obisidian lava flow is located in Bend, Oregon.
There is obsidian everywhere.
Not just small pieces, but big pieces, huge pieces, medium pieces.
There is obsidian all the way to the end of the path.

Very good Allison. Nice job.


This is what Sarah wrote:

There is a very pretty girl.
She has blond, curly hair.
She wears a pretty dress.
She is my Kelly Doll.

Yes Sarah, you did see your Kelly Doll in America. Yes, she is in America. Yes, she is yours, in America. No, this is not what your Language book meant. Yes, they wanted something like a National Monument, or a Natural wonder. No, your Kelly Doll is not a National Monument. No, she is not a Natural wonder. No, it does not matter that she is a princess Kelly doll. Or that she is blond, or that she has curly hair. Yes, you do need to rewrite this.

Ten minutes later, this is what she came up with:

One day I went to snowqualmie falls.
It was so big that if someone fell off, they would DIE.
But it was still beautiful.

Good job Sarah. Excellent. Do we really need to include the sentance about falling off and dying? Okay then.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

*in high squeaky voice* "Die. . . die. . . die. . . ."


At least she is honest though.

Anonymous said...

I know, its just funny for a six year old- wait, seven now, to include death in an essay about something beautiful in America.

emily said...

rotlf.

Our families should seriously make a sit-com.

No wait, we ARE a sit-com.

Oh dear.

emily said...

notice in the above comment that it's the floor doing the laughing, not me.

lindy said...

ROTFL!!!! Lucy read this to me last night and it was SO SO SO SO SO SO SO funny!!!! You have an amazing family Beth Hammermaster. :-)

Anonymous said...

I like it. rolling on the laughing floor.

Thanks Lindy. I happen to think so to. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I know. I think that we are all CRAZY (that's supposed to be underlined, btw) . I bet we could get most everyone to agree with us, too.

Love the story, Beth. I was there! (Does that make me somehow famous?)

MJ said...

Last comment by MJ!!!!!!!!!!!

(Ugg. This log in stuff is a pain!)

Sam said...

that is probably the most amazing thing i have ever heard.

oh my gosh.

that is so classic i almost died.

so profound.

and perfectly childlike.

i heard someone give an example that we are to god like when we give crayons to little kids. its always a good drawing because of the funny way we see the world. that's what it reminded me of.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it?

thats why I had to post it.

That is a neat idea.

lindy said...

Crayons.... mmhmm. I like crayons.

emily said...

can't wait to hear about the workshop...

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna post it in the same one about Riverdance . . . so you are going to have to wait until saturday.