Friday, October 05, 2007

I ran across this when I was doing geography . . . It is pretty amusing. I really apreciate it because it isn't trying make the US sound evil like some statistics . . .


Andorra has no unemployment, which is just as well because they have no broadcast TV channels either. What would everyone watch?
China has the most workers, so it's a good thing they've also got the most TV's.
Indians go out to the movies 3 billion times a year - much more than any other nation.
The USA has more personal computers than the next 7 countries combined.
Americans and Icelanders go to the cinema 5 times a year, on average. The average Japanese person goes only once.
The United States has the most money, airports, radios and Internet Service Providers.
Malaysia has the lowest rate of cinema attendance in the world.
A three-minute local phone call in Ecuador costs 60 U.S. cents, 60 times as much as in Ukraine, Macedonia, Saudi Arabia, Nepal, or Uzbekistan.
Taiwan and Luxembourg are the only countries in the world where the mobile phones outnumber the people!
Leisure time: Armenia is a world leader in library members and cinemas per capita.


Also, I completely forgot to mention, this Saturday The Celtic Maidens have a performance . . . I heard Anna gets to come, so I guess that only leaves you Verya, but I thought since you couldn't come to our last one, you should at least know about this one. We are performing twice, at six and seven. (in the evening) It will be on Main Street, at the Bank of America Intersection. Anyway, thats just FYI.

17 comments:

emily said...

hahaha, remember when we were studding America on Culture Grams?

"Americans usually stand about 2-3 feet apart in conversation and often reach out to touch one another as they speak."

They made us sound like apes in a zoo. It really made me think about what we were learning about all the other countries and how weird we thought they were. hummmm...

Anonymous said...

Yes, thats right.

Some of the things that other countries did were pretty weird to. Like tugging your earlobe.

MJ said...

Oh, and by the way, the performances are actually at 6:30 and 7:10. They've been moved


I was just on Culture Grams looking up about America. I read almost everything... It's very amusing to read.

Sam said...

that is a strange group of statistics.
we're so rich.

your performance was great! i was there!

lindy said...

Beth!! I am completely jellous! I wanted so so so bad to see your next performance, then I had to go off moving and changing my life again. *sigh* No wait, that wasn't my fault. I joined a circus with Sam and got caught and dragged to Gooding Idaho. Poo.

lol I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lindy . . . it would have been fun if you could have been their . . . but it isn't THAT wonderful. If you really want me to, I can send you a copy of our Summer Performance.

lindy said...

yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!! Pleas do send it to me!

Exciting not, says the girl who can dance circles around me. I LOVE Irish. I've been Irish dancing all week. lol

cut step step. cut step step. cut two three four five six seven. cut cut, cut two three......

Anonymous said...

lol. We learned this awsome gorgeous new step for hard shoe . . . we haven't actually practiced it in our hardshoes . . . it is really cool.

lindy said...

oh! you must show me some time. :)

emily said...

that night was surreal, i still can't beleive it's over. i still think of it as something in the future. hum.

MJ said...

I'm sorry you couldn't be there, Elenya. Here's the link our website, click on the link that says "Celtic Maidens, Sumner Arts Festival" The other link is the ghillies and it is of Toss the Feathers at the Emmanuel Talent Night. Here's the link:

www.crazyeight.org (our family's website)

have fun.

Anonymous said...

lol!
Awesome post!

I too wish I could have watched it. :( I will check out your link though!

Anonymous said...

Oh, btw how was the cake I made you?

quenta tindomerel said...

EOWYN!
post about getting in the newspaper, understand? I spent half an hour, I'm telling you half an hour looking for it online, so don't be selfish, share!

MJ said...

I'll make her post.

The cake was DELICIOUS! We loved it! Can we get the recipe? Mmmm mmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Umm. . .

You know I actually didn't use a recipe for the cake or frosting. It was a white butter cake mix and I will have to think about what I put in the frosting. The filling was Smuckers Simply Fruit Blackberry, it would be with the other jams. I had to improvise with the frosting because we didn't have any powdered sugar at the time. :) Let me think about what I put in the frosting and then I will get back to you.

Dorothy said...

wait-

YOU WERE IN THE NEWSPAPER???????

*is very excited*

Anna, send me the link 'cause Beth won't post about it!