Monday, September 03, 2007

*sighs* I just read Lindy's post about the beach, which makes me want to write something like that. Ah well. I did read it to Michaela and Katie. Needless to say, they definitely liked it. Right now we are listening to Jim Brickman (I think that is what it is) He plays the piano, so it makes me a little . . . pensive. Or maybe dramatic. Actually, when Katie gets this way, its just annoying. I think that may be more accurate.

Today was our Labor Day picnic with our church. We obviously need to have more picnics, it was sooo much fun!!! I never realized how many kids we have at our church, but we really have a lot now. When you are at church it doesn't look like that many, but when they are all running around attempting to play football, or just watching, it sure puts things into perspective!

When we arived (late as usual) we walked down to where a bunch of little boys (well, they weren't little, but I think they were all younger than me, at least most of them were, so that gives me license to call them little, don't you think?) were starting some kind of of football. They informed us they were playing tackle football, but when quite a few girls arrived, they decided they would play a sort of mix. This is kind of Ironic, as most girls - in fact I think I can safely say all, didn't know a thing about football. They just sort of ran around acting like they knew what they were doing.

I joined the cheering sqad. Goodness, their were TONS of kids out their. It was funny, because their were about six guys who were leading everyone, and then a bunch of little boys who were playing, and a small percentage of girls who were playing. After football (which seemed to be more regrouping rather than actual playing), most of the teen girls played Mafia, and everyone else ran off to join the men who were starting a baseballl game.

After a great game of Mafia ( Me and Willow were the Mafia, and we won! - Muhahahahaha) we went and watched baseball for awhile. However, I can only watch baseball for so long, so I wandered off where a MUCH smaller group of kids were playing football again. I sort of wanted to play, so when Winsome came along, we joined together. It was pretty much a lot of fun, following commands I couldn't understand, and running around like hooligans. I did pick up on a few things about football, like when a play is over. At the end of the day, driving home, I realized I understood a lot more about football than I thought I did, I just needed to put the pieces together. I think I would definitely benefit from someone taking time to explain it to me.

I want to have an understanding about lots of things, so I don't have to stand around looking clueless. Anyway, by the end of the day, we were loosing players like flies, so we had about two good players, a few little boys, and some girls who couldn't really do anything, except pretend they were doing things. The game ended up being more like two man football. Anyway it was pretty fun.

I have got to go now, we are watching a movie . . .

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol It's always lots of fun watching people attempt to play foot ball! Um, I won't try to explain it to you, I barely know how to play anyways!

Church picnics are so much fun! I agree, they need to have them more often.

Anonymous said...

"You look very nice today Beth!"

emily said...

I was so happy to see a post from you Beth!

I'm glad you had such a good time! I congradulate you on not mentioning the D's even ONCE. :-) Not that that's exactly a good thing, I suppose, just a phenomenon.

Sam said...

playing football and really trying to include girls is very hard. i honestly try, really.
the picnic sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure those who can play football do make an effort to include the others, I can see that, from a lot of a people, you included. I can also see that they find it difficult, it was VERY funny. Those who were leading the game would tell us to run different ways, but they always were the ones who made the plays. It was super fun. I have no idea why.

Thank you Emily. Believe me, they are in there.

Anonymous said...

BTW Emily,
It was very nice to hear that you were glad to see a post. You know, I have a lot of trouble posting sometimes. It's like I need . . . inspiration or something. I'm able to post a lot better after something has happened, something fun, so I can go home happy and I'm all energized, and then I can write.

emily said...

I have the same trouble, Beth. I'm doing it right now, in fact. I was typing a very intelectual, snobbish, extreemly borring post and I got so fed up with myself I almost deleted the draft- but in the end I just decided to go visit Beth and Anna's blogs and then come back and see if any spotted horses galoping across the beach had come to me by then.

Instead, I'm just typing comments and procrastinating my room cleaning and getting my tenses mixed up. Not a very good beginning, not at all. But I like your blog posts. If we were ever all stranded on a deserted island, I have no doubt that you would be the only one to keep the rest of us from chucking our survival gear to do the bannana dance around campfires.

We need you, Beth.

lindy said...

rotfl Em, I think you have a point. We would be a bunch of lunatics if it's weren't for Beth! Thank you Beth, sanity is esencial for living. :)

You read my post to your sisters?! Beth! You're so awesome! I LOVE your post btw. I was nearly jumping out of my seat to see a new one. :D

I am the same way too. I need some thing to inspire me for me to write some thing worth reading. I can write a whole bunch of lame atempts at a poem; but I need inspiration to get some thing good outa me. ;)

love love love!

Anonymous said...

Well, as necessary as it is to keep people from throwing away their survival gear, but, after I safely stored everything under a rock, I might come join you. : )

Sarah said...

Ah, sounds like such fun!
My church hasn't had a picnic since back before my brother and I became the only kids in church (that was like 2 years ago).

I love that game, Mafia. I had been meeting with a group of local home school teens and we'd play ultimate frisbee and then afterwords play that. I've never been the maffia...Always one of the townsfolk, but it's always such fun!

lindy said...

ugh! (take no offence any one) I hate mafia! every one dies and in a very grusome manner. :P


humph!


lol

MJ said...

Beth! Stop referring to the girls as ones who couldn't do anything! I wasn't that bad! Anyway, in the end, I was ended up being part of the tackles (funny how that works, you're just trying to do two hand touch.) and you really do know how to play, but some of the boys, and apparently your sister, doesn't think you know....

It was still tons of fun. I would do it again in an instant.

Good post, sis.

MJ said...

Okay, Michaela was doing stuff.

quenta tindomerel said...

but standing around looking clueless is fun! and besides, where will I be without someone to be clueless with?

mafia is awesome. kill everybody!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

If you think standing around looking clueless is fun, you should try running around looking clueless. It is ever so much funner!

lindy said...

rotfl I so that every time I play football or soccer! Anna! we can be clueless together! lol

do you realize it took Luiz last year the ENTIRE game of baseball for me to get it? I felt so unbelievabley dumb! (and I don't think that's even a word *headdesk*)

Beth I love your blog. :) you have such a different perspective than I: and it really translates in your writing. :) keep it going! write more and more!

Sam said...

true dat, emily, true dat.

Dorothy said...

yeah, just don't have a football geek explain it to you. They say they're "explaining" it, but they really just speek Greek, and in the end you are more confused than when you started.

Well, the extra point is from the safety the offensive tackle made instead of kicking for a field goal. then they had to punt (somewhere here the other team gets the ball for some odd reason) to the thirty yard line and they made a push to the forty-five. (huh?) then they got first down on third and two (again, huh?) and made a pass that would've been a touchdown, but our defensive block (or whatever) intercepted it and threw to the offensive tackle for a first down.

yeah. so then you go ask mom what the heck all that's supposed to mean. he said he was EXPLAINING IT. she sighs and translates to English.




and yeah, the girls usually just get run over.

we're not already lunatics lindy?

lol YES, I was sooo excited to see new posts!!! But then, after being gone for *gasp* a week I should expect at least one!




oh my gosh, in mafia on the ride back from goat's peak, i was killed, i think brutally murdered with a club or something. it was interesting. who made that part up again???

the other townsfolk just died. probably peacefully, in their beds, asleep, never knowing, never dreaming, never suspecting, no pain.

anyway, it's forgiven and forgotten, as I'm sure you could tell.