After completing all my school today, and getting Nathan all done with his, I walked out into the family room, to find the twins had built a fort. (Mom, Michaela and Katie were gone shopping) With great enthusiasm they convinced me to go into it. Of course this in itself was not as easy as it should have been. You have to crawl and slither through a clever passage way that leads us directly behind our chair in the corner. I have to rotate to get behind the chair, I'm not as small as the twins are! After I leave the corner, and "army crawl" into the fort.
The fort consists of most of the cushions of the couch, used as walls. Then a giant pink blanket is draped over it all, and propped up with a three foot stick. Their was room for about three people in the fort, so after laying their ( you can't sit up fully, it is easier to lie down,) I crawled back out to widen the fort. By then my hair is plastered to my face from getting all staticy from rubbing against blankets. After widening the fort, so me, Allison, Sarah and Nathan could fit inside, we decided that to have a higher roof would be great. After the twins suggesting outlandish things such as a tube that nearly touches the ceiling, we settled on a sword that is as nearly as tall as the twins. I got out again to steady the fort, while Allison went in to set it up. Well, the blanket wasn't quite big enough for that, so it pretty much collapsed. Allison finally appeared out of the wreckage laughing very hard, we all were.
We move the fort to a new location, and used the sword to prop up the roof, which this time worked quite well. I even managed to create a passage way entrance that satisfied Allison (lots of crawling around and brushing your head against blankets.) Well, then I went to the computer to do stuff, with a twenty minute warning until science. About three minutes later they arrived, they wanted to do science right then. I was surprised, but was totally fine with that. Thinking back, I wonder if their eagerness had to do with the promised candy corn for questions answered correctly!
Science was pretty uneventful, although slightly amusing. Allison and Sarah don't seem to have a very good grasp on their vocabulary words.
Me:"Define Continent"
Allison:"Its a letter!"
Me: "No, I think you mean Capital or Consonant."
Sarah:" Is it a planet?"
Me: "well, its on a planet."
Allison: "Is it a state?"
Me: "No" I turn to Nathan "Nathan?"
Thankfully, Nathan knew what a continent was.
Me: "Alright . . . Planet, here is a hint: its a place where we live."
Allison: "Its not Sumner?"
Me: I choke back laughter "No." I turn to Nathan.
Thankfully also, Nathan knew what a Planet was.
16 comments:
oh Eowyn, you make me laugh.
and you quotes me! how funny. I didn't invent that, you know. but I like to pretend I did.
I did invent blonde eyes and blue hair, however. :P
I want to build a fort! *sigh* that's why i can't wait for my babysitting job to start up again. we always pull out all the tablecloths and create a fort using all the tables. it's awesome. :P
and science can be fun. my funniest little kid story (as I recall):
Me: what do the sheep say?
Josiah: baaaaa
Me: what do the pigs say?
Josiah: *makes a pig sound as only little kids can*
Me: what do the cows say?
Josiah: woooff!
Me: so what do dogs say?
Josiah: mooooo!
I gave up.
Haha rotfl.
That IS funny!
Blond eyes and blue hair is even better, I should use that.
We use all the cushions. Ahem-Nate and the twins do. Yesterday I impressed them and built TWO forts, each in a corner of the family room, and then Nathan Allison and Sarah and Katie spied on each other. It was pretty amusing. Yep, our forts are awsome too.
oh--building forts is something big kids don't do anymore except for the cool ones. forts are awesome! I wish we had couch cushions that would pull off, they would be perfect for forts. :( but tablecloths work well too. except you're always trying to keep them up and not let them slip down. :P
haha, ever had paper ball fights from two different forts? they make a big mess, but you can just pick the balls up and keep throwing them again. plus they don't hurt at all to get hit with.
That is a GREAT idea. I think I'll put it in my big sister idea book, to pull out when every one gets bored. : )
Just Kidding. I don't have an idea book, although I should. I will remember that one and use it though.
: )
Oh, and we have a corner couch, so that means we have much more cushions than most people.
Once Michaela and Katie made an igloo, and they didn't have to use a blanket for the roof, they just used a cushion. It was very cozy and tiny, only about two people could get in at a time.
rotfl, best post you've ever made, Bethany Ann.
My funniest little kid story was when I was babysitting Jessica P. and we were playing dress up. First we were both princesses, then I was the prince, then i was the fairy godmother. She gave me the wand and ordered me to turn all sorts of things into all sorts of other things.
She grabbed her baby brother and ordered me to turn him into a prince. So I made big swirily motions with my wand from Josh's head to the ceiling, and Jessica got very quite, starring way up into the air where "Prince Josh" now stood.
"Is that your prince?" I asked.
She shifts her eyes over to me and lifts one eyebrow without moving her head.
"I dunt tink so!" she snorts. "I tink that's YOUR prince."
I love it!
Great post, Beth
That is so funny. And whoever reads that story really needs to HEAR Emily tell it, it is even funnier then! : )
Hmm . . . according to Emily, my writing must really be improving, about every other post. : )
Wow Eowyn, that was really an amazing post! I laughed so hard!!! Don't ever change, ok?
I know, forts are awesome. I guess I thought I grew out of them, since I don't have any younger siblings to keep it up with. At the December sleepover we should make a gigantic fort! We could all bring our own couch cushions....well maybe not but we should still build one.
My best friend and I growing up built some really amazing forts. Three huge cushions and several large pillows, plus a dozen or so sheets and blankets. But the best was our own invention - the dark-fort. I had a bunk bed when I was little; of course I slept on top and the bottom was almost completely stuffed animals. The bed was in the corner, so two sides were against the wall. We would hang blankets from the guard rail and stuffed under the mattress to make the rest of the bottom bunk dark, and usually had two blankets overlapping on the entrance, to ensure that no light could get in. The magical thing about forts is that you can't really see anything I think. We would keep some stuffed animals as pillows and toys, the rest would be on the floor blocking the door and the outside world from our fort, like a moat. Anyway, that was all we ever had to do, and it would stay up until Katie had to leave. We would sleep in it, play in it, barricade ourselves in, rebuild it when the blankets couldn't take the strain of two five-year-olds and fell down at last, burying us, and we would spend hours finding and stuffing every crack that could possibly allow light in. Always the first thing to go up, and the last thing to come down, sometimes even days after she left I could talk my parents into letting me leave it up.
If you have a bunk bed and want to try it, know that darker colored blankets work best.
So who did invent the humble/perfect thing Anna? I really thought you did! But yeah, I think blonde eyes and blue hair is pretty good. one of those things you don't catch right away. Like my friend Gayleen used to always say without realizing it, "duck off a water's back."
We used to do the bunk bed thing, but we never attempted to make it perfectly dark . . . another good idea!
how do you like the vacation house, beth?
Ah, forts...it's been forever since I've done that. *sigh* such fun. Also reminds me of back like 3 years ago when I would go to my friend's house and we would pull all the couch cussions off onto the floor and then jump off the back of the couch onto them...good times! Hm. Perhaps next wednesday while I'm home alone all day I shall make a fort :-)
ahahahahahhaha.
ahahahahahaa.
man.
ROTFL "it's not Sumner?" that is soooo adorable. I love this post. The simple things in life seem to catch my interest and glee these days. Thank you for that Beth. :)
Email me tomorrow if I don't email you today, k? I'm trying to get on top of my emails again. ;)
Lol, I'm glad you guys like this. Now I need to write a new post.
Post a Comment